Pack your bags for Qatar
The name ‘Qatar’ was first used by the Ancient Roman writer Pliny the Elder and referred to the inhabitants of the region called Catharra.
Qatar is a peninsular Arab country whose terrain comprises arid desert and a long Persian (Arab) Gulf shoreline of beaches and dunes. Along the coast is the capital, Doha, known for its futuristic skyscrapers and other ultramodern architecture inspired by ancient Islamic design, such as the limestone Museum of Islamic Art. The museum sits on the city’s Corniche waterfront promenade.
- Katara Cultural Village – site of numerous cultural performances, art galleries, and workshops
- The Pearl-Qatar – this man-made island offshore of Doha described as the “Arabian Riviera” offers luxurious shopping, dining, and Mediterranean-like marina experiences
- Qatar National Library – access over a million books and dive into Qatar’s history
- Qanat Quartier – Venice-style neighborhood that features boutique shopping, numerous cafes, Instagram-worthy vistas.
- Souq Waqif – explore and shop amongst the winding alleys to step back in time to Doha’s old trading market
Adventures in Qatar:
- Daytime, evening, or overnight camping trips through Bedouin-style camps (with all the modern touches) in the desert
- Camel or horseback riding for an authentic desert experience
- Qatar’s “Inland Sea” or Khor Al Adaid, a UNESCO recognized site, is Qatar’s largest natural reserve. It is one of the few places in the world where the sea meets the desert. Home to wildlife, marine life, and vegetation, enjoy spotting turtles, flamingos, dugongs, Arabian oryx, camels, and more!
- Skydive over Qatar for a truly unique experience! Qatar’s world-class instructors will help you with every step of your skydiving journey
- Paragliding offers a completely different perspective of Qatar. The vast skies and strong winds make Qatar the perfect destination for flying in the sky.
- Dive in the Arabian coast to access wrecks, deep waters, and reefs.
- Kitesurf over Qatar’s crystal waters
- Visit the unspoiled beaches and coastlines for sun bathing, water sports, or cabana living
- Kayak through the Al Thakira Mangroves
- Experience Qatari Dhow cruises (Mahmal) for a taste of Qatar’s seafaring history
- Kahrama Awareness Park in Al Thumama – teach your kids the importance of resource conservation with 3D films, interactive games, and augmented reality exhibitions
- Al Thuraya Planetarium – blending education and entertainment, the planetarium offers a full-dome digital system to experience earth sciences and astronomy like never before
- A Children’s Museum is set to open soon to offer families indoor, outdoor, and interactive experiences to learn and grow together
- Museum of Islamic Art – a flagship of Qatar museums, the art museum displays work and history from three continents over 1,400 years. It holds itself as, “a centre of knowledge and inspiration that illuminates the world of Islamic art”.
- KidzMondo Doha inside the Mall of Qatar is a kid-sized city that offers a unique edu-tainment concept to provide learning solutions for children
- Various entertainment centers in the Doha Festival City mall include Angry Birds World theme park, the winter themed Snow Dunes, and the Middle East’s first dedicated e-gaming hub Virtuocity
- Several inside shopping malls are hosts to several indoor recreational facilities. They offer indoor skating rinks, arcade gaming, multi-screen movie theatres, park-style amusement rides, and more!
- Discover the majestic wildlife of Qatar, see the Arabian oryxes, desert hares, golden jackals, camels, long-eared bats, honey badgers, sand foxes, to gazelles. And don’t forget to visit during the winter season (November to April) when hundreds of flamingos flock to the shores from Europe, Siberia, and Africa.
- Indoor amusement parks including Gondolania, Jungle Zone, Circus Land, ice skating rinks and boat rides are located throughout Doha
- Pearl island hosts the Megapolis and Minipolis Entertainment Centers for endless indoor games and activities
- Mesmerizing acrobats defy gravity at the Tawar mall
- Enter the world of illusions at The Museum of Illusions at The Gate Mall offers intriguing visual, interactive exhibits
Health and Wellness – Luxury Spas
After a long day of adventures, exploring, or entertainment, indulge yourself at one of Qatar’s numerous spas. Relax with traditional massages and body treatments/facials, or try something new like a Lava shell massage.
Shopping – Grandiose Malls and Market Souqs
Shopping in Qatar is a truly unique experience. Its shopping malls are not only a host of luxury and street brands, but also feature several amusement park like attractions, live shows, and recreational activities like bowling and rock climbing. For a more traditional shopping experience, visit Qatar’s souqs, which are a host of local, merchant goods and regional spices.
UNESCO Heritage Sites:
- Barzan Towers – Also known as the Umm Salal Mohammed, these watchtowers from the late 19th century is a unique oasis of history and sea gazing
- Al Zubarah Fort – this ancestral pearl fishing and trading port is now Qatar’s largest heritage site with an impressive city wall, palaces, houses, markets, and mosques.
Book your next vacation to Qatar! Call 877-FLY JAYA (359-5292) to book today!